French Conversation Groups
Conversation groups in Portland are available for varied levels of French. Participation is free, no pre-registration is required, and drop-ins are welcome. Attendance ranges from 5 to 25 people, and levels can vary by group. French conversation groups are a great way to strengthen what you have learned and stay motivated to continue studying.
The list below shows all groups in Oregon and Southwest Washington organized by location:
NORTHWEST AND CENTRAL PORTLAND
- Alliance Group at St. Honoré Boulangerie at 2335 NW Thurman Street, the first Wednesdays of each month, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. hosted by Alliance Board Member François Wevers. Contact the Alliance for more information. All levels are welcome. After the June 19 session, the group will take a summer break and will resume September 4 for monthly meetings.
- Groupe francophone: Meets Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon at The Mezz Espresso Bar, at Whole Foods in the Pearl District at the corner of NW 12th and Burnside. Contact Frank Cardinaux for more information. This group tends to be for advanced/fluent levels.
- Alliance Group at the Kamm House at 1425 SW 20th Ave., the fourth Saturday of the month, 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Hosted by Alliance volunteer Natacha Desnos from Le Mans. Contact the Alliance for more information. This group is for current Alliance members (membership starts at $20 per year). All levels of French are welcome.
- Fluent/Advanced French Conversation Group: Meets the first Saturday of each month from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. The group meets at Palio’s Dessert & Espresso House, 1996 SE Ladd Avenue, Portland 97214. Hosted by AF Volunteers. Native, fluent and advanced speakers welcome.
- Alliance group at Chez Machin: Meets the second Monday of each month for Crêpes et Conversation, 7:00-8:30 p.m., Chez Machin, 3553 SE Hawthorne Boulevard. Hosted by Alliance member Jennifer Coyne. Contact Jennifer for more information. All levels welcome.
- Alliance group, les Copains du Dimanche: Meets every Sunday, 4:00-5:30 p.m. on the mezzanine of the Market of Choice, 1090 SE Belmont Street, Portland, OR 97214. Hosted by Alliance member Alan Grinnell. Contact Alan for more information. All levels welcome.
- French Book Club: A French language and literature group meets every other month to discuss a French-language book. Participants read the book in French and discuss it in French at a venue announced in advance. Contact Cindy Crawford for more information.
Samedi au Village: Grand Central Bakery – Multnomah Village, 3425 SW Multnomah Boulevard, Portland, OR 97219. Meets on Saturdays, 4:30-6:00 p.m. Contact Stephane Cohen for more information. All levels welcome.
The Alliance group in Vancouver: Second Tuesday of the month, 5:30 p.m., at the Pacific House East, 315 NE 192nd Ave. #301, Camas, WA. Merci to Alliance member Sheryl Meservey for leading the group, which draws 10-15 participants. Contact Sheryl for further information.
The Corvallis group: Celebrated its 50th year in 2014, averages 25-30 people for its weekly meetings, Tuesday mornings from 10-12. For further info contact Jody Altendorf. All levels welcome.
CONVO AT THE ALLIANCE
Alliance Group at the Kamm House at 1425 SW 20th Ave., the fourth Saturday of the month, 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Hosted by Alliance volunteer Natacha Desnos from Le Mans. Contact the Alliance for more information. This group is for current Alliance members (membership starts at $20 per year). All levels of French are welcome.
Sign up for Convo à la carte, private one-on-one conversation sessions at the Portland Alliance. $15 for a half hour session. Call 503.223.8388 for more information. Sat